As a doula I believe that families deserve all the support they need to make informed decisions, have access to evidence based information on pregnancy, birth, and child rearing. I also believe in the evidence based studies that show families and mothers who are supported throughout their labor and birth have better birth outcomes, lower c-sections rates, and their baby’s have better APGAR scores.
Is a Virtual Doula Right For Me?
1. Do you have specific desires for your birth? You do not have to have an unmedicated birth in order to hire a doula, many families who have epidurals or C-sections still hire a doula to be there during their birth journey. Studies show that families who choose doulas are more satisfied with their overall birth experience.
2. Are You Looking for Additional Support Before, During and After Birth?
Doulas work tirelessly to make sure that you have the information and support to make informed decisions and gain physical, emotional, and informational help throughout your pregnancy and labor. A doula can also support you by advocating for you, your baby, your family, and your rights.
3. Do you want to learn more about birth and your rights?
Doulas are invaluable sources of a wealth of knowledge and can be a great way for you to expand your knowledge. Families who are informed of their rights and informed on basic elements of birth are more likely to make informed decisions and more likely to be satisfied with their birth experience overall. Voices of eve also has an Online Childbirth Class to help with this too!
4. Can You Afford Doula Services?
Costs for doulas vary depending on your needs and the area you live. Voices of Eve is dedicated to making empowering services accessible to everyone. To help families afford the care they need Voices of Eve packages are on the lower end of the spectrum, payments do not have a pay by date but instead a pay what you can when you can basis, and you can also qualify for a discount on any package, you can find the discount form here!
As a doula I believe that the physical support that a doula provides has immeasurable value. But I believe the greatest value of a doula is empowering their clients and their communities through education and resources. So whereas having full doula support is optimal I believe that through a virtual doula you can have access to that most important aspect of their service.
5. Is in person support not an option or desire for you?
There are many factors that make having an in person doula difficult such as money or a special circumstance in your birth. If that’s the case there are still many benefits to having a doulas knowledge accessible.
Some circumstances that make virtual doula support perfect for you:
– You are unable to afford a full doula service.
– You do not have access to a doula in person in your area.
– You had a doula for a previous labor and want some support but not the full support you had last time.
– You desire your labor and birth to be as private as possible but would still like some informational support to aid your decision making.
– You looked into having an in person doula but didn’t find one that fit your needs or personality.
– You know the options and how a full doula service can help you but decided that you do not desire the physical support during labor or prenatally.
These are just a few possible reasons that a virtual doula is great for you.
What A Virtual Doula Service Looks Like:
1. Virtual prenatal visits: $75 at some point during your pregnancy. These calls will be to help create your birth plan, discuss your desires for you birth, I can also help provide resources for any of your needs. These calls will be around an hour each.
2. You will have text, e-mail, call, and/or video support throughout your pregnancy: FREE during normal business hours for pregnancy and during all hours during the on call period beginning at 39 weeks and until your baby is born.
3. Text and/or video call labor support throughout labor, birth, and for 1 hour after birth: $250 This aspect can be structured to fit your personality and desires. It can be constant or intermittent. And you can choose whichever method of communication that is easiest for you and your support team. With any method that uses audio your doula will keep her microphone on mute unless she is actively communicating with you to avoid any sounds in her environment interfering with the birthing space.
– Text: Abbey will respond to all texts promptly and will send periodical “checking in” texts every 1-2 hours depending on the specific circumstances and your desires.
– Video: For occasional periods during your labor. This method can also use any mode you desire for instance face-time or zoom conference call. the benefit of doing a zoom call is you can also include other family members if you desire and since your doula will be hosting she can field any questions they might have about what is going on.
– Voice Call: Also has the option of being constant or intermittent the down side to this option is your doula will only have what she can hear to go on as far as supporting and that might necessitate her asking more questions throughout the process.
4. One Video Postpartum Visit: $75 This visit will be to process your birth and discuss how you and your baby are doing and recieve resources if needed. It can take place at any point during your pregnancy.
5. On call: FREE for your labor beginning at one week before your due date until your baby is born. Your doula is available before then if your baby comes early but she may not be as quick to respond outside the on call period. During the on call period her phone will stay on and with the ringer on loud.
6. Visual Birth Plan: FREE
* No matter which method of communication you choose with your doula know that she is on the clock. She will not be running errands or driving while she is communicating with you (barring emergency circumstances). You are her focus while she is supporting you in labor.
Optional Add Ons:
With your services you will always have the option to add on to your package at no extra cost beyond the cost of the service itself. Here are some possible extra services:
– Doula and Photographer, Hannah Troyer, as your birth photographer: $300
– Refer a friend: Saves you $25 for each friend that signs with Voices of Eve